Broughton Park agonisingly lost out to a last minute try in the Junior Cup Semi-Final. The last kick of the game was the Sutton Coldfield conversion attempt. Final score Sutton Coldfield Ladies 29 - 22 Broughton Park Ladies.

See Sutton Coldfield Twitter feed for synopsis of the game

See some pictures of the game.

More pictures from the game.

As Sutton Coldfield saw the game:-

Two tries by Jessica Nally in the last 4 minutes sent Sutton Ladies into the final of the RFU (National) Junior Cup after a thrilling semi final contest at the RSG against a superb Broughton Park Ladies team.

On a beautiful spring afternoon and in front of the biggest crowd seen at Walmley Road for quite some time these two evenly matched teams went at it from the first whistle and it was the hosts who deservedly took a 5-0 lead when after just 6 minutes Sutton hooker Tara Wheeldon showed both pace and strength to force her way over.

There then followed a sustained period of pressure by the visitors and it took some outstanding defence by Sutton to keep them out. Broughton Park, with many highly skilled talented players, were running everything and adding plenty of width to their game but their efforts were continually thwarted by some brilliant last ditch tackling with captain Charlie Byrne and her outstanding centre partner Katie Gregory particularly prominent along with winger Elise Graham who refused to let anyone past.
The inevitable score from the Manchester based side came on 29 minutes when right wing Nikki Cowell weaved her way over to make it 5-5 but it had taken an enormous effort from visitors to level the score and this would prove telling when it came for them to defend once Sutton managed to gain some possession and territory.
With half time approaching the home side produced quick ruck ball for fly half Alison Livermore to set her backs in motion ending with full back Kerrie-Anne Melsom squeezing in at the corner for her 2nd try of the season; with the difficult touchline conversion falling just short the whistle blew for half time with the home side leading 10-5 and with it all to play for.
The 2nd half began with both sides continuing to treat the appreciative crowd to some fine attacking rugby but it was the visitors who were to get the first score after the restart when 7 minutes in flanker Emma Connolly crossed to level the scores at 10-10 the conversion being off target.

Back came Sutton though and 5 minutes later one of the game’s most influential players Tara Wheeldon crashed over for her 2nd try of the day and her 7th of the season; Alison Livermore’s successful conversion saw the Walmley Road ‘Green Army’ lead 17-10.
The slender lead wasn’t to last long though as this fine Broughton Park side showed their undoubted credentials running in two tries in the space of 7 minutes through Georgia Boon and Georgia Sutherland with Nikki Cowell converting the latter and the visitors now led for the first time 22-17 with just 12 minutes to go.
Sutton, with a ‘man’ in the bin, were now being tested as they had never been tested before this season but just as they were threatening the visitors line they suffered a sickening blow when young replacement scrum half Molly Worthington fell awkwardly resulting in her incurring a double fracture to her lower leg. The game was held up while an ambulance was awaited and the final minutes of this absorbing tie were to be played out on an adjoining pitch.
Several of the girls from both sides were clearly distressed by what had happened but despite everything Sutton, still 5 points adrift, but with the passionate home crowd now firmly roaring them on, began to gain the ascendency and it became a question of whether the visitors could hold out in the face of wave after wave of attacks.
The answer was no they couldn’t as No 8 Jessica Nally came to the party powering her way over with 4 minutes to go to level the scores at 22-22 the conversion attempt being agonisingly pushed just wide.
With the prospect of extra time looming Sutton continued to press but desperate defending was keeping them out until in the very last play of the game leading try scorer Nally refused to be denied and forced her way over from close range for her 14th try of the season to seal the win and send the huge crowd into delirium; Alison Livermore somehow managed to keep her composure to knock over the conversion for a final score of 29-22.

This was a magnificent game of rugby played by two brilliant teams and great credit must go to Broughton Park who played some outstanding rugby and displayed a refreshing level of sportsmanship despite being pipped at the post and we wish them well for the future.

news articles

Broughton Park Facebook